History

Arkansas Heart Hospital was the first heart hospital in Arkansas and only the second in the nation when it was established. The partnership between MedCath Inc. of Charlotte, NC and several leading Arkansas cardiologists led by Dr. Bruce Murphy began in 1997.

Dr. Murphy formed AR-MED after MedCath announced in 2010 that it planned to sell several major assets. Murphy serves as president and primary shareholder of AR-MED, which purchased MedCath’s 70 percent ownership.  A group of local physicians own the remaining 30 percent of the hospital.

“We wanted to maintain this asset for the community and felt the best way to accomplish that goal was through in-community, in-state ownership,” said Murphy.  “The hospital will maintain physician governance, which allows the medical staff to make patient-care decisions rapidly. Instead of physicians being employed by the hospital, the physicians are purchasing the hospital.  This is a win-win for the patients and the entire community.”

Dr. Murphy currently serves as Arkansas Heart Hospital Chairman, President and CEO.  Little Rock Cardiology Clinic – and its 30 satellite clinics – have now merged into Arkansas Heart Hospital.  The merger provided an avenue for expanding and enhancing our already unparalleled cardiovascular services.  Little Rock Cardiology Clinic is now known as “Arkansas Heart Hospital Clinic.”

Arkansas Heart Hospital has capped over a decade of leadership in heart treatment technologies with recognition as a leading provider of quality heart care. The hospital is a nationally recognized and award-winning hospital dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Arkansas Heart Hospital has treated patients from all 75 Arkansas counties.

Arkansas Heart Hospital is the result of intensive efforts by area heart specialists to assemble the finest facilities, advanced equipment and highly skilled health care professionals at one site. From its inception, physicians have been active in planning the specialized care facility.