This position REQUIRES travel to Arkansas Heart Hospital Rural Clinics located in the Northern part of Arkansas
Responsible for performing all assigned diagnostic ultrasound exams in a timely manner. Performs procedures according to physician’s orders or per prescription on outpatients. As a member of the care team, the Cardiac Sonographer is responsible for working collaboratively with other members to assure safe and accurate delivery of patient care. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
- Performs quality echocardiograms utilizing 2-D, 3-D, Colorflow, pulsed- and continuous-wave Doppler.
- Assists physicians and nurses with transesophageal echocardiograms. Responsible for probe care, sterilization and safety.
- May perform stress and pharmacological echocardiograms.
- Evaluates each test and provides physicians, when necessary, with preliminary reports.
- Exercises personal judgment regarding when to notify physicians of a test result immediately.
- Orders all supplies within the Echo department, anticipating future needs.
- Stocks all necessary supplies for Echo lab (i.e., gel bottles, gowns, tapes).
- Attends to weekly duties as designated.
- Responsible for assuring the studies completed are available to the Cardiologist or appropriate physician.
- Maintains all equipment used.
- Stores echo studies according to approved guidelines.
- Maintains accurate logs of all studies performed.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This position is designated as a safety sensitive position because of the essential duties of the job involves critical medical care to patients. A lapse in attention to detail may constitute a threat to health or safety resulting in injury, illness or death. This position is required to work in a constant state of alertness in a safe manner.
- Education: Associate of Science degree in diagnostic ultrasound or certificate of successful completion from an accredited school of cardiac ultrasound required. Bachelor degree in any major, particularly Sonography, preferred.
- Licensure/ Certification: Registry-eligible required. Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) and/or Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) in adult echocardiography preferred or required within six (6) months of employment. Current BLS certification within 90 days of employment or placement in position required. ACLS required prior to participating in walk stress testing.
- Experience: None required. At least one year in echocardiography and vascular ultrasound preferred.