This position is responsible for scheduling, financially clearing, and pre-registering patients via telephone. This position is also main point of contact for physician referrals to the clinic. This position includes obtaining and entering demographic and insurance information. This employee will place daily calls to various insurance companies for authorization/notification and benefits verification purposes. Other required duties include point of service cash collection, close interaction with internal and external administrative liaisons and additional obligations as assigned.
Varied shifts, Monday through Friday. May include some weekends dependent on business need.
- Schedules / pre-registers patient which includes obtaining and entering demographic and insurance information.
- Financially clears patients which includes verifying insurance and benefit information per the patient’s insurance plan.
- Contacts various insurance companies on a daily basis for insurance authorization/notification and verification purposes.
- Calls patient to advise of any deductible or co-pay due at time of appointment.
- Accesses and utilizes various online resources for benefits verification purposes.
- Ensures all requested patients from a facility have been pre-registered in a timely manner.
- Ensures all POS cash is collected and posted according to the policy and procedure guidelines outlined in the department.
- Refers patients with financial issues who are unable to make appropriate payment arrangements to the facility financial counselor for handling.
- Interacts with various internal and external administrative liaisons.
- Knowledgeable of Managed Care as well as Medicare, Medicaid and other third-party payers. Performs all other duties as directed to provide the most efficient service to the hospital in a manner that supports and/or supplements the overall effectiveness of the department and the hospital. Coordinates with Patient Support Specialists and other clinic departments to coordinate patients.
- This position is designated as a safety sensitive position because of the essential duties of the job involves critical medical care to patients. A lapse in attention to detail may constitute a threat to health or safety resulting in injury, illness or death. This position is required to work in a constant state of alertness in a safe manner.
- Education: High School diploma or GED required.
- Licensure/Certification: None required.
- Experience: Minimum of three years’ experience in a related field (i.e., patient admissions, registration, insurance verification). Previous healthcare experience preferred.