This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the scope of practice of an LPN or Medical Assistant using the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of an RN or physician.
- Actively participates directly with patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Responds to patient needs in a timely manner.
- Transports patients as needed.
- Welcomes patients and ensures the admission paperwork is available; actively participates in the admission process.
- Performs/Assists with positioning patients and transferring patients from bed to chair or wheelchair or stretcher.
- Performs/Assists with range of motion exercises and ambulating.
- Reports abnormal conditions to the RN or physician in a timely manner.
- Identifies the organization of the human body, including its systems, structure and functions.
- Demonstrates general principles of cleanliness (asepsis).
- Applies the principle of basic nutrition to patient care.
- Provides basic emergency care.
- Coordinates the booking and scheduling of patients for procedures/appointments
- Serves as liaison with physician/facility, patient and families regarding patient care.
- Performs other duties as directed by supervisor, based on demonstrated competency.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains universal precautions.
Clinic patient work up
- Actively solicits information from patient’s doctor’s office staff, and insurance pre-certification information
- Explains procedures and answers questions regarding patient care and scheduled procedures.
- Identifies, reports and records changes that result from disease or trauma to patient’s respiratory, cardiovascular, neurologic, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, reproductive, musculoskeletal, metabolic, psychological, integumentary, sensory, immune, hematologic and nutritional systems.
- Able to apply simple dressings and assist RN/MD with more complex dressings.
- Accurate and complete medication reconciliation.
- Completely update the patient’s medical record at each visit including allergies, hospitalizations, and surgeries in the electronic medical record system with timeliness and accuracy.
- Documents Flu and Pneumonia immunizations.
- Performs 12 lead EKG
- Obtains weight and basic patient information.
- Performs phlebotomy and blood glucose monitoring.
- Travels to outreach satellite clinics.
- Performs clerical duties as needed.
- Education: Graduate of an accredited Practical Nurse program or Medical Assistant program required.
- Licensure/ Certification: If LPN – Current state licensure as a Practical Nurse or licensure from a state within the Nursing Compact required. Current BLS at time of employment.
- Experience: None required. Minimum of 6 months’ continuous LPN or Medical Assistant experience preferred.