This professional staff person is responsible for performing assessments, developing a plan of care and implementing and evaluating the care. The RN/LPN administers medications and treatments as ordered by physicians and in keeping with the current clinical nursing practice. Also responsible for directing, monitoring and evaluating the care delegated to non-licensed personnel. The RN/LPN leads the interdisciplinary care team for patients with primarily cardiovascular disease. In addition, the RN/LPN performs a range of technical services in a cross-functional mode to comprehensively serve patient needs. Assumes (under the direction of the Laboratory) responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement and equipment maintenance.
- Completes admission assessment and periodic reassessments according to patients progress and/or unit protocols and population-specific parameters.
- Documents findings and communicates all pertinent information to interdisciplinary team members as appropriate.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in the development, evaluation and revision of the plan of care as appropriate to meet the patients needs and goals.
- Provides competent direct care and ensures the provision of a safe and comforting environment resulting in a high level of patient satisfaction.
- Assists healthcare team members in the understanding of hospital policies and procedures.
- Provides education to patients/families/significant others, incorporating population-specific criteria and assessment of readiness to learn.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Administers medications and completes treatments according to hospital policy and within population-specific parameters.
- Maintains all necessary documentation.
- Facilitates discharge plan in collaboration with interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient care equipment.
- Coordinates response of the interdisciplinary team to emergency situations.
- Performs Point-of-Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point-of-Care quality control standards.
- Assists with recruiting and interviewing of competent staff.
- Assists staff in problem solving work issues and in adapting to the patient-focused care environment.
- Trains staff on hospital electronic health record and other computer applications.
- Assists with orientation, evaluation and retention of clinical staff.
Cath / EP Lab
- Performs patient assessments pre-, peri- and post-procedure.
- Maintains a safe, aseptic environment in the Cath Lab.
- Administers medications as ordered by the physician.
- Maintains competent knowledge of all procedures and adheres to procedure protocol.
- Assists all personnel, patients and physicians as needed.
- Ensures all supplies are available.
- Operates and maintains equipment in good working order.
- Participates in the total maintenance of the department.
- Ensures that patient has an H & P documented by a physician according to appropriate standards prior to procedure.
- Settles patient after procedures and provides accepting RN with concise reports on the patient.
- Education: Graduate of an accredited nursing program required.
- Licensure/Certification: Registered Nurse or Practical Nurse with current state licensure or licensure from a state within the Nursing Compact required. BLS certification required within 30 days of employment and prior to providing direct patient care. Successful completion of ACLS certification is required for any Registered Nurse by completion of clinical orientation. Certifications will be renewed by recommended renewal date on the certification documentation.
- PALS or ENPC certification required for all Emergency Department RNs within one year of employment.
- RCIS required for Cath/EP Lab RNs within six months of eligibility. Limited Specialty License required within two months of acquiring RCIS. (excluding PRN employees)Certification(s) is to be renewed by recommended renewal date on certification card.