Assists in the preparation and cooking of foods. Prepares, seasons, and cooks soups, meats, vegetables, desserts and other foodstuffs for consumption following standardized recipes.
- Reviews menus to determine type and quantities of meats, entrees, soups, etc. to be prepared.
- Prepares and/or cooks food items for patients or residents, staff, visitors and special functions following standardized recipes and acceptable methods of preparation.
- Mixes ingredients according to recipes.
- Bakes, roasts, steams meats, fish and other foods. Makes sauces, soups, stews and casseroles.
- Tests food being cooked by tasting, smelling and/or piercing to determine that it is cooked properly.
- Plans cooking schedule to ensure that food will be ready at the specified time.
- Procures foodstuffs from refrigerators, freezers or other storage areas.
- Maintains cook area in a clean, neat and orderly manner.
- Education: High school graduate or GED required.
- Experience: Minimum of two years in food service as a cook required.