This professional staff person is responsible for performing assessments, developing a plan of care, implementing and evaluating the care. Administers medications and treatments as ordered by physicians and in keeping with the current clinical nursing practice. Responsible for directing, monitoring and evaluating the care delegated to non-licensed personnel. As a member of the interdisciplinary care team, works collaboratively with the other members to assure the safe and accurate delivery of care. Performs a range of technical services in a cross-functional mode to comprehensively serve patient needs. Assumes (under the direction of the Laboratory) responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
When acting in the Resource Nurse capacity for assigned shift, the RN Relief Resource is primarily responsible for the shift-to-shift operations of the hospital, including but not limited to managing the logistics of patient admissions and bed control; assisting with staffing in the absence of the Director or Assistant Director; and managing patient emergencies. Participates in direct care, as well as managerial tasks. Acts as the facilitator of the Rapid Response Team and responds to all Codes. Collaborates with other staff in sharing of resources, as well as providing support and leadership to the staff during his/her shift. Maintains patient safety and confidentiality at all times.
Flexible schedules to cover all shifts and weekends, as hospital needs demand
Registered Nurse Responsibilities:
- Completes admission assessment and periodic reassessments according to patients progress and/or unit protocols and population-specific parameters.
- Documents findings and communicates all pertinent information to interdisciplinary team members as appropriate.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in the development, evaluation and revision of the plan of care as appropriate to meet the patients needs and goals.
- Provides competent direct care and ensures the provision of a safe and comforting environment, resulting in a high level of patient satisfaction.
- Assists healthcare team members in the understanding of hospital policies and procedures.
- Provides education to patients/families/significant others, incorporating population-specific criteria and assessment of readiness to learn.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Administers medications and completes treatments according to hospital policy and within population-specific parameters.
- Maintains all necessary documentation.
- Facilitates discharge plan in collaboration with interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient care equipment.
- Coordinates response of the interdisciplinary team to emergency situations.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Delegates appropriately to non-licensed staff in accordance with job descriptions, license requirements and standards of practice.
- Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
- Maintains and develops own professional competencies.
- Maintains unit-based competencies.
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
- Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization Review program.
- Assumes a leadership role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Assists in directing and guiding staff in the coordination of unit operations.
- Supports the multi-skilled worker environment (i.e., cross-training).
- Demonstrates willingness to assist other areas of the hospital as needed.
- Cross-trains and willingly works in other areas of the hospital accepting assignments within competency level.
- Effectively applies prioritization and time management to patients care.
- Assists in all aspects of care in the environment.
- Adheres to all policy and procedures.
- Ensures that a patient has a signed consent present in the chart prior to procedure.
- Assists with recruiting and interviewing of competent staff.
- Assists staff in problem-solving work issues and in adapting to the patient-focused care environment.
- Trains staff on hospital computer system.
- Assists with orientation, evaluation and retention of clinical staff.
Relief Resource Nurse Responsibilities
- Coordinates the admission, discharge and transfer of patients in collaboration with other Directors.
- Verifies insurance for Direct Admit patients without an Emergency Medical Condition.
- Assists families and patients in teaching the skills necessary for successful post-discharge care.
- Ensures patient equipment and supplies are available and in operating condition.
- Performs clinical quality improvement activities such as patient satisfaction, physician satisfaction and staff satisfaction surveying as necessary. Identifies and implements corrective actions as necessary. Monitors the annual quality indicators for compliance to standards.
- Possesses the knowledge of growth and development of appropriate patient populations.
- Maintains the responsibility for professional growth and development.
- Documents call-ins for all Departments in the absence of the Director/Assistant Director of Nursing.
- Assists in the overall operation of the hospital through active participation in projects aimed at achieving the hospitals mission, and incorporates the values of the hospital in day-to-day activities.
- Assists in the selection of equipment, supplies and goods for the running of the hospital and the caring of the patient with the goals of quality and cost efficiency.
- Communicates with staff and physicians on administrative issues and follows-up on issues until closure.
- Manages the resolution of patient or family complaints with the collaboration of the Directors, as needed.
- Fiscally manages within budget and helps monitor overtime.
- Evaluates staff competencies and intervenes to maintain quality.
- Participates in selecting outside sources for needed services.
- Provides input for performance reviews of staff and assists in the development of staff in collaboration with the Education Coordinator.
- Assists in recruiting and hiring competent staff.
- Assists staffs in problem-solving work issues and adapting to the patient-focused care environment.
- Maintains communication with off-duty Directors on an as-needed basis.
- Completes the Administrative Report for each shift.
- Education: Graduate of an accredited program of nursing.
- Licensure/Certification: Registered Nurse with current state licensure or licensure from a state within the Nursing Compact. BLS certification required prior to providing direct patient care. Successful completion of AHA-approved course in ACLS within 30 days of employment or placement in position required. Certification is to be renewed by recommended renewal date on certification card.
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years continuous clinical experience in a critical/acute care setting requires. Minimum of 2 years of recent management experience preferred.