This position is designed to provide the surgical technologist student with a clinical education while assisting the OR clinical in the performance of patient care activities under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse and/or Surgical Technologist. Observes, reports and documents patient care activities. Responsible for assisting professional staff in providing care for the operative or procedural patient before, during and after surgery. This position requires thorough surgical knowledge and expertise to ensure proper instrumentation and supplies are available on the surgical field and/or in the operating room where the procedure is to be performed. Assists the sterile operative team, assisting with scrub and circulating duties in the operating room, performs routine and specialized housekeeping activities and applies principles of asepsis, infection control and medical ethics. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement and equipment maintenance.
Primary Duties under the direct supervision of a certified ST or RN.
- Actively participates in direct patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Ensures patient equipment and supplies are available and in operating condition.
- Performs clinical quality improvement activities such as patient satisfaction, physician satisfaction and staff satisfaction.
- Prepares Operating Room and equipment by opening sterile supplies and instrumentation for procedures to be performed.
- Demonstrates proficiency to operate and/or apply surgical equipment and instrumentation.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain sterile technique and apply principles of infection control and medical ethics.
- Functions as Scrub Assistant when needed; is able to assume primary and secondary scrub duties.
- Demonstrates proficiency in interpreting patient status information during procedures.
- Assists with specific and safe positioning of patient on operating table.
- Anticipates needs of the surgeon with little or no prompting.
- Interprets and relays physician orders/requests to other team members.
- Assists nursing staff with preoperative patient preparation.
- Counts sponges and related items with circulating nurse before and during surgical procedures.
- Assists operative team with donning sterile gown/gloves and applying sterile drapes to surgical field.
- Cares for surgical specimens on the sterile field.
- Maintains sterile field in an organized manner so anyone can utilize at any time during the procedure.
- Assists in transportation of patient to OR and/or PACU.
- Demonstrates ability to react calmly and effectively in an emergency situation.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Enrollment in an Arkansas Surgical Technologist program preferred. May provide proof of skill education and competency from school.
- Licensure/Certification: BLS certification required within 30 days of employment and prior to providing direct patient care. Certifications will be renewed by recommended renewal date on the certification documentation.
- Experience: With Medical Assistant, CNA or paramedic certification, minimum of two-year patient care experience in a hospital (acute care setting preferred) or one year surgical technology school required.