SIGN ON BONUS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
Responsible for assisting professional staff in providing care for the operative patient before, during and after surgery. This position requires thorough surgical knowledge and expertise to ensure proper instrumentation and supplies are available on the surgical field and/or in the operating room where the procedure is to be performed. Assists the sterile operative team, performs scrub and circulating duties in the operating room, performs routine and specialized housekeeping activities and applies principles of asepsis, infection control and medical ethics. Responsible for training newly assigned personnel. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement and equipment maintenance.
- Actively participates in direct patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Ensures patient equipment and supplies are available and in operating condition.
- Performs clinical quality improvement activities such as patient satisfaction, physician satisfaction and staff satisfaction.
- Prepares Operating Room and equipment by opening sterile supplies and instrumentation for procedures to be performed.
- Demonstrates proficiency to operate and/or apply surgical equipment and instrumentation.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain sterile technique and apply principles of infection control and medical ethics.
- Functions as Scrub Assistant when needed; is able to assume primary and secondary scrub duties.
- Demonstrates proficiency in interpreting patient status information during procedures.
- Assists with specific and safe positioning of patient on operating table.
- Anticipates needs of the surgeon with little or no prompting.
- Interprets and relays physician orders/requests to other team members.
- Assists nursing staff with preoperative patient preparation.
- Counts sponges and related items with circulating nurse before and during surgical procedures.
- Assists operative team with donning sterile gown/gloves and applying sterile drapes to surgical field.
- Cares for surgical specimens on the sterile field.
- Maintains sterile field in an organized manner so anyone can utilize at any time during the procedure.
- Assists in transportation of patient to OR and/or PACU.
- Demonstrates ability to react calmly and effectively in an emergency situation.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Education: High School Diploma/GED required. Graduate of an accredited school of allied health services preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: Valid certificate from Surgical Technologist program preferred (work experience of three (3) years will compensate for certification). Current BLS certification required..
- Experience: Minimum of three years continuous experience in an operating room required.