This position is responsible for assisting clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the scope of practice of an LPN or Medical Assistant using the patient-focused care system and under the direction/supervision of an RN or physician. In addition, responsible for scheduling, financially clearing, and pre-registering patients via telephone. This position is also main point of contact for physician referrals to the clinic. This position includes obtaining and entering demographic and insurance information. This employee will place daily calls to various insurance companies for authorization/notification and benefits verification purposes
- Actively participates directly with patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment.
- Responds to patient needs in a timely manner.
- Transports patients as needed.
- Welcomes patients and ensures the admission paperwork is available; actively participates in the admission process.
- Performs/Assists with positioning patients and transferring patients from bed to chair or wheelchair or stretcher.
- Performs/Assists with range of motion exercises and ambulating.
- Reports abnormal conditions to the RN or physician in a timely manner.
- Identifies the organization of the human body, including its systems, structure and functions.
- Demonstrates general principles of cleanliness (asepsis).
- Applies the principle of basic nutrition to patient care.
- Provides basic emergency care.
- Coordinates the booking and scheduling of patients for procedures/appointments
- Serves as liaison with physician/facility, patient and families regarding patient care.
- Performs other duties as directed by supervisor, based on demonstrated competency.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains universal precautions.
Clinic patient work up
- Actively solicits information from patient’s doctor’s office staff, and insurance pre-certification information
- Explains procedures and answers questions regarding patient care and scheduled procedures.
- Identifies, reports and records changes that result from disease or trauma to patient’s respiratory, cardiovascular, neurologic, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, reproductive, musculoskeletal, metabolic, psychological, integumentary, sensory, immune, hematologic and nutritional systems.
- Able to apply simple dressings and assist RN/MD with more complex dressings.
- Accurate and complete medication reconciliation.
- Completely update the patient’s medical record at each visit including allergies, hospitalizations, and surgeries in the electronic medical record system with timeliness and accuracy.
- Documents Flu and Pneumonia immunizations.
- Performs 12 lead EKG
- Obtains weight and basic patient information.
- Performs phlebotomy and blood glucose monitoring.
- Travels to outreach satellite clinics.
- Performs clerical duties as needed.
- Schedules / pre-registers patient which includes obtaining and entering demographic and insurance information.
- Financially clears patients which includes verifying insurance and benefit information per the patient’s insurance plan.
- Contacts various insurance companies on a daily basis for insurance authorization/notification and verification purposes.
- Calls patient to advise of any deductible or co-pay due at time of appointment.
- Accesses and utilizes various online resources for benefits verification purposes.
- Ensures all requested patients from a facility have been pre-registered in a timely manner.
- Ensures all POS cash is collected and posted according to the policy and procedure guidelines outlined in the department.