Arkansas Heart Hospital’s cardiovascular and thoracic surgery department is among the best in the region. More than 60 years of combined, state of the art experience equips our team to perform all kinds of procedures, from traditional surgeries to new, groundbreaking therapies. To learn more about your heart surgery options or to schedule an appointment, call (800)264-5722.
Open heart surgery is any type of surgery where the chest is cut open and surgery is performed on the muscle, valves or arteries of the heart. There are a number of different procedures your surgeon can perform, and they will thoroughly evaluate your medical history to determine how to proceed.
Thoracic Services Offered
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Surgery (CABG)
- Aortic Valve Replacement (AVR)
- Mitral Valve Repair or Replacement (MVR)
- Tricuspid Valve Repair or Replacement (TVR)
- Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Left Atrial Appendage Clip or Resection
- Surgical Ablation (MAZE)
- Surgical Atrial Septal Defect Closure
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS)
- Diaphragm Plication
Non-Thoracic Services Offered
- Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Peripheral Bypass Grafting Surgery
- Open Abdominal Aneurysm Surgery
- Aortobifemoral Bypass Grafting Surgery
- Peripheral Amputation
Meet our Cardiovascular Surgeons
Dr. C.D. Williams is the director of surgery at Arkansas Heart Hospital and is president of Arkansas Cardiovascular Surgery Associates. He is board certified in thoracic and general surgery and has started cardiovascular surgery programs at several hospitals in Arkansas and Texas. He graduated from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and finished his internship at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Texas. He completed residencies in internal medicine, general surgery and cardiovascular surgery.
Dr. Michael T. Nolen is a cardiothoracic surgeon with an interest in minimally invasive surgery, coronary bypass and valve surgery, aortic aneurysm repairs and peripheral vascular surgery. He completed his medical degree and general surgery internship at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and completed the cardiovascular and thoracic fellowship at the Texas Heart Institute.
Dr. Kristofer Freeland is a cardiothoracic surgeon with an interest in coronary vascularization, structural heart disease including the TAVR procedure as well as aortic pathology. He attended medical school at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and completed his general surgery residency at Louisiana State University in Shreveport.
To learn more about your heart surgery options or to schedule an appointment, call (800)264-5722.
- (BMI) Bariatric & Metabolic Institute
- Cardiac CT
- Cardiology & Catheterization Procedures
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- CHF Clinic
- Clinic Research
- Device Clinic
- Diabetes & Endocrinology
- Heartsaver CT
- Intensive Cardiac Prehabilitation
- Keep the Beat
- Medical Imaging
- Operating Room Procedures
- Other Diagnostics
- Strong Hearts Rehab
- Structural Heart
- Vascular Procedures
- Wound Care Center