THE FIRST STEP TO A NEW YOU
THE BARIATRIC & METABOLIC INSTITUTE AT ARKANSAS HEART HOSPITAL
At the Bariatric and Metabolic Institute (BMI), our primary focus is to help YOU in reaching your weight goals and regaining your health. A nationally-recognized team of physicians, nurses, counselors and dietitans, we are your lifelong partners in the journey to a longer, healthier life.
Dr. Samuel Bledsoe, Dr. J.D. Fuller, Dr. James “JJ” Tucker and Dr. Oscar Talledo lead our team of professionals, who strive to make permanent weight loss a reality through personalized attention and innovative surgical options. From insurance approvals to emotional and physical wellness, we are here for you every step of the way.
If you’ve tried and tried again to lose weight but find it always seems to come back, weight loss surgery may be for you. Permanent weight loss through diet and exercise alone can be impossible. But surgery, combined with changes in your lifestyle offers a way to lose weight, keep it off and restore your health.
Weight loss surgery can help you live a happier, healthier and longer life. Benefits include:
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases, stroke and heart attack
- 50-85% expected excess weight loss, depending on the procedure
- Resolves type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea
- Extends life expectancy up to 10 years
- Reduces risk of cancer by 32%
Click here to watch our January 2023 Heart to Heart Facebook Live.
Click here to watch our August 2022 Heart to Heart Facebook Live.
Meet the individuals changing their lives through weight loss surgery at the Bariatric & Metabolic Institute.
DO I QUALIFY FOR WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
To be eligible for bariatric surgery, you must have a body mass index greater than 40, or a body mass index greater than 35 with comorbidities (such as type II diabetes). All insurance providers have different requirements, but we have dedicated team members to coordinate the approval process.
With a body mass index greater than 30, you may be eligible for self-pay surgery. Explore financing options here.
Let the Bariatric & Metabolic Institute be your first step to a new you. Weight loss is a lifetime commitment, and our team is here for all of your journey.
- Step 1 – View our online seminar whenever it’s convenient for you.
- Step 2 – Submit insurance information here and our Patient Liaison will contact you to discuss coverage.
- Step 3 – Attend a consultation with our surgeon to discuss surgical options and a clear pathway for permanent weight loss.
- Step 4 – Follow-up visit with your surgeon to discuss surgery specifics and evaluation. Set surgery date.
- Step 5 – Follow the post-surgical care pathway plan that includes support groups and physician office visits.
WHAT ARE MY SURGICAL WEIGHT LOSS OPTIONS?
Our laparoscopic approach means that we perform minimally invasive surgeries. You’ll be out of the hospital and back to your normal life quickly after your procedure.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Gastric Sleeve surgery permanently removes approximately 75% of the stomach, leaving the patient with a tubular “sleeve” for a stomach. This causes the patient to feel full in a shorter amount of time and reduces the hormone that causes the feeling of hunger. Patients usually lose 60-70% of their excess weight following this gastric sleeve surgery.
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric Bypass surgery is considered the gold standard for weight loss surgery and usually results in 70-85% excess weight loss. The procedure entails a reduction in size of the stomach and bypassing a section of the intestines, which also leads to less absorption of fat and calories.
Ready to get started? Watch our online seminar here.
Visit us at 1901 Encore Way, Bryant, AR 72019
- Bariatric and Metabolic Institute
- Cardiac CT
- Cardiology & Catheterization Procedures
- CHF Clinic
- Clinic Research
- Device Clinic
- Diabetes & Endocrinology
- Heartsaver CT
- Keep the Beat
- Medical Imaging
- Operating Room Procedures
- Other Diagnostics
- Strong Hearts Rehabilitation
- Structural Heart
- Vascular Procedures
- Wound Care Center