The DXA Scan — What is your body made of?
Fat. Bone. Muscle. Water. These are the things your body is made of, but in what proportions? While weight and body mass index (BMI) are good tools for assessing your overall health, learning your body composition gives an even more accurate idea as it takes muscle composition and bone density into account.
Arkansas Heart Hospital’s new iDexa scanner can tell you exactly what you’re made of, including your body composition and bone density.
Knowing your body fat percentage is very important, as having excess body fat can increase your risk of diseases like type II diabetes, sleep apnea, polycystic ovarian syndrome, hypertension, high cholesterol, heart attack and strokes, and some cancers. Awareness is key to prevention!
Knowing your bone density is important because it can tell you how strong your bones are and how likely you are to experience bone fractures. Bone density scans are the gold standard for diagnosing osteoporosis.
Who Should Have This Test?
- Anyone who wants to know more about their body composition can benefit.
- Athletes find this scan beneficial to identify target areas to optimize their athletic ability.
- Those trying to lose weight or get in shape
For those on a weight loss journey, the DEXA scan shows how you’re losing fat and building muscle, which isn’t always visible on the scale or in the mirror.
- Post-menopausal women who are prone to osteoporosis
- Men or women who are taking medications that are known to cause bone loss including:
- Those with type I diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, or family history of osteoporosis
- Those with a thyroid condition
- Those who fracture easily
The DEXA scan along with other imaging and wellness tests is now available for purchase and online scheduling. Get started and purchase a voucher here – starting at only $50!
For more information on other great features like the DXA scan, see how else Arkansas Heart Hospital is staying on the cutting edge.