This time of year, we can’t get enough heart healthy recipes for the grill! Whether you’re hosting a summer party or simply need a healthy, meaty recipe the whole family can enjoy, this one is sure to be a hit! The slaw includes tips for making it ahead of time. We hope you enjoy!
Making the slaw:
- 2 packages of angel hair slaw
- ½ head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 10-ounce package shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced (seeds & ribs removed)
- 2 yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced (seeds & ribs removed)
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds & ribs removed if you want less heat)
Making the dressing:
- ½ cup canola or olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup Splenda
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl combine all vegetables; use tongs or toss with clean hands to combine. In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Pour over slaw and toss to combine. Serve immediately or place in refrigerator.
Time saving tips:
A food processor is a great tool to use for shredding veggies. All vegetables may be prepped and combined in large bowl up to one day in advance. Dressing may be made up to two days in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
Making the pork tenderloin:
- 1 whole boneless pork tenderloin
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder
30 minutes before grilling:
Cut pork tenderloin into ½ inch thick medallions. Sprinkle seasoning blend on each side. Grill on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
You may also toss various non-starchy summer veggies on the grill such as onions, sweet peppers, jalapenos and zucchini. Just brush with a little canola or olive oil, season with kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper. Grill to desired doneness.
Making the BBQ Mayo
- ½ cup low carb barbecue sauce (G Hughes Sweet & Spicy used for recipe testing)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (Duke’s used for recipe testing)
Combine in bowl, serve alongside pork and slaw, and enjoy!
Looking for more heart healthy recipes? Check out our recipes page here and don’t forget to follow Arkansas Heart Cafe on Instagram for great meal ideas.