If you’re looking for a lighter version of barbecue sauce for the summer, take a look at what Chef Mark Elliotte put together in the StrongHearts kitchen. This heart healthy bbq sauce recipe is packed full of flavor, easy to make and is low in sodium, which makes it heart friendly. Above all though, it tastes great!
Healthy BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree (no salt added)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (low Sodium)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 oz apple juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (no salt added)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Hot sauce to taste
- Using a large stock pot, cook onions, bell pepper, garlic, apple juice and vinegar at medium heat.
- Cook until it becomes a syrupy consistency, about 8 to 10 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour
In addition to this healthy bbq sauce recipe, try our other heart healthy and amazing recipes our StrongHearts kitchen has whipped together. Moreover, you can also follow us on Instagram for great meal ideas.