Whether you’re watching football, enjoying time outside or starting your holiday decorating, nothing complements a great fall weekend like healthy fall recipes — so try our hearty turkey chili and guilt-free cornbread. Both are easy to make and sure to satisfy, and great for your heart health.
Hearty Turkey Chili
This hearty turkey chili recipe can be used with ground beef or bison and is ready in an hour. Enjoy!
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey (or leftover turkey)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 jalapenos, whole (optional)
- 3 16 ounce cans of pinto beans, low-sodium or no salt added
- 3 16 ounce cans of kidney beans, low-sodium or no salt added
- 3 16 ounce cans of tomato sauce, low-sodium or no salt added
- 3 16 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 package no salt added chili seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- In a very large pot, sauté onions, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Add turkey and brown.
- Add beans, tomatoes, spices and whole jalapenos.
- Simmer one hour.
Cornbread and chili go hand in hand. As you’re spending time with family and friends this holiday season, serve up this sweet take on cornbread and treat your loved ones to a side that’s guilt-free.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup artificial sweetener (optional)
- 4 teaspoons sodium-free baking powder
- 2 egg whites or egg substitute
- 1/4 cup sugar-free applesauce
- 1 cup of soy milk, fat-free buttermilk or skim milk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add soy milk, egg and applesauce.
- Mix by hand until fairly smooth, about one minute.
- Place in an 8-inch square pan or cast iron skillet that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.