For bariatric patients, there’s a common misconception they cannot enjoy common, flavorful, delicious food. Fortunately, we have some healthy meals to cook that taste as good as they are for your heart. Here is a for Asian lettuce wraps that’s perfect for summer and easy to make and one the whole family can enjoy!
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup lite soy sauce
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon Splenda
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey roasted peanut butter (Peter Pan Simply Ground Honey Roast used in recipe testing)
- Boston or butter lettuce leaves (sometimes packaged as “Living Lettuce”)
- Shredded rotisserie dark meat chicken (may use shredded chicken breast if preferred)
- Shredded carrots
- Cucumber cut into strips
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
Remove root ball and rinse lettuce. Allow to drain or place in salad spinner to remove excess water.
Whisk all ingredients except peanut butter together. Reserve ¼ cup dressing, whisk peanut butter into remaining dressing.
Heat skillet on medium heat, add chicken. Sauté two minutes. Add reserved dressing and increase heat to medium high. Allow to crisp slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place two lettuce leaves on plate. Top each leaf with 2 ounces chicken, shredded carrot, cucumber strips and cilantro. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons dressing over each lettuce wrap.
Nutrition info per serving (2 lettuce wraps)
- 315 calories
- 22 grams fat
- 4 grams carbohydrate
- 28 grams protein
For more heart healthy meals to cook, click here.