Even though many prepackaged dressings are off-limits on the bariatric eating plan or for a healthy diet, salad dressings can still be flavorful, healthy and easy to make. In just a few steps, you can make your own Bariatric & Metabolic Institute at Arkansas Heart Hospital dietitian-approved dressing.
Try one of these salad dressing recipes:
Court’s Simple Vinaigrette
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup red or white wine vinegar
- About 1 cup of Splenda
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Mediterranean spiced sea salt* or you can do Kosher salt, fresh black pepper, garlic, etc.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Transfer to a glass bottle with a rubber stopper to store in the fridge.
Smoked Jalapeno Vinaigrette
- 4 teaspoons Splenda
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a small saucepan and place over medium heat.
- When the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the dressing into a bowl. Drizzle the oil into the dressing in a thin stream while whisking quickly.
- Pour into a covered container and chill until cold.
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger (can use less if desired)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Splenda
- Few dashes of light soy sauce
- Splash of sesame oil
- Add ingredients in a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine.
Estimated Nutrition info per Tablespoon: 60 calories and 7 grams fat
Our team of cardiovascular experts and weight loss doctors are ready to help patients put their health goals in reach. For patients who don’t see success with medicine and other treatments, we offer a second chance. Learn more about our unique approach to weight loss, and visit our From the Heart blog for more recipes and resources.